Endless Daze Festival 2019



I was lamenting the loss of big rock based festivals in Cape Town recently, and it got my mind travelling back to a very special gig that I got to work at in 2019, The Endless Daze festival in 2019. Ultra was contracted to supply PA and Staging, and our client, AudioPimps requested that I do the monitor mixing for the weekend.

Photo Courtesy of AudioPimps

I don't really remember too much about the actual technical side of the gig, 
except for how loud it was.
I remember struggling to bring up whispered vocals over screaming Fender guitar amps, and pounding drums. 

THINK, that I used the Yamaha LS9-32 for the monitor mix... I don't remember having outboard eq, so I think that is what I used. I remember doing a three-way split for FOH, Monitors and for a multitrack recording for post...

 

I also remember being very satisfied with the show, and hopefully my client was as well...
I don't remember having much feedback, but memory can cloud these things. I do remember the headline set was Medicine Boy - the organisers band... (so no pressure...)

It was also a very technically challenging set, but luckily one that we got to do a soundcheck for before the festival started - which helped relieve some of the pressure. aside from the core band of Lucy Kruger on synths and vocals, and André Leo on guitars - this duo was supported by:

Hezron Chetty - Violin 
Luke Otto - Cello 
Schalk Joubert - Double Bass
Gene Kierman - French Horn

A tricky act to mix in any situation - but add a festival stage and a scream Fender Twin Reverb, while maintaining subtlety and dynamics on stage, combined with Lucy's intimate vocal style - its gonna be tough!

A few In-Ear Monitors, a bit of shuffling of musicians, a few different choices of microphones, and we all reached a very happy place that resulted in a stunning performance as well as a great recorded capture which can stand as a very strong piece of work in any musicians discography. I was, and still am, honoured to be a small part of their musical legacy. 

 MEDICINE BOY - FOR THE TIME BEING 
LIVE AT ENDLESS DAZE 2019


WATCH THE FULL AFTER MOVIE BELOW







Comments

Popular Posts